The Sun and Vitamin D

A vitamin D It is a fat-soluble vitamin produced naturally in the body by exposing the skin to sunlight, and it can also be obtained in greater quantities through the consumption of some foods of animal origin, such as fish, egg yolk and milk, for example.

This vitamin is important for ensuring bone mineral density as it promotes calcium absorption and maintains adequate concentrations of calcium and phosphorus. In addition, it is important at a muscular, cardiovascular and immune system level.

How does your production go?

There are two forms of vitamin D: the vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) which is synthesized in the skin, during sun exposure, or obtained through the consumption of some foods, especially eggs, fatty fish (salmon, sardines), cod liver oil, mushrooms, shrimp, oysters and white meats; and the vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) which is produced by ultraviolet irradiation of sun-exposed yeast and mushrooms and is then ingested in dietary supplements or medications.

Food, despite making an important contribution to balancing vitamin D levels in the body, sun exposure is also of great importance for this purpose. Only 10 to 20% of your requirement is obtained through diet. The remaining 80% to 90% needed for good health comes from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun.

What effects does this vitamin have?

Vitamin D plays a very important role in the proper functioning of our body, assuming several important functions, such as:

  • Help form bones and teeth;
  • Regulate calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood and promote their absorption;
  • Maintain appropriate concentrations of calcium and phosphorus;
  • Strengthen the muscles;
  • Prevent osteoporosis;
  • Protect cardiovascular health by controlling heart muscle contractions;
  • Strengthen the immune system;
  • Improve neurological functions;
  • Avoid high blood pressure and gestational diabetes, as well as the birth of babies with a weight below the recommended level.

Does sunscreen interfere with its production?

It is common to attribute the production of vitamin D to sun exposure without the use of sunscreen. However, the synthesis of this substance depends on very low doses of UVB radiation. This type of radiation can be absorbed through thinner clothes and the scalp, so it is not necessary not to apply sunscreen so that the sun's rays are absorbed and the vitamin is produced.

In addition, it is extremely important to mention that the use of sunscreen is essential throughout the year, to reduce the risk of developing skin cancer and also to reduce the signs of aging caused by sun exposure.

Taking vitamin D supplements should never be done without proper medical advice.

The General Directorate of Health according to the Norm nº 004/2019 of 08/14/2019 , indicates that vitamin D supplementation is intended for children in the first year of life and/or in proven cases of deficiency, evaluated by a clinician.

However, the current pandemic scenario caused by COVID-19 has reinforced the importance of supplementation in strengthening the immune system, with vitamin D having a crucial role here and its evaluation and need for supplementation being relevant.

We leave you with some suggestions available at MyPharmaSpot that may help you to quantify this vitamin quickly, effectively and comfortably and even when choosing the most suitable supplement for you. ☀️


Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published

Shop now

You can use this element to add a quote, content...